Re: Maximum no. of Connections with GNATS ?

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: Maximum no. of Connections with GNATS ?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:59:18 -0500

"Farrukh Hassan" <address@hidden>  wrote:
> What is the maximum no. of connections a client that is accessing
> GNATS through Daemon can open simultaneously?

I will have to dig in to the code to see if there are any hard-coded
limits to connections.  However, GNATS operates through inetd at the
moment, so the connection limits might be limited at that level.
Other limits, I suspect, might involve locking issues for PR's or the
database itself.

> (FYI, I have a scenario, in which the client establishes a TCP
> Connection with the GNATS machine (ip, port), then issues the
> required command. The client maintains a pool of TCP connections to
> the GNATS.  However, with multiple requests it is getting
> exhausted.)

*nod*  I'd look to inetd first.  In Mel Hatzis Oracle port of GNATS
(which he is incrementally adding to CVS), he has properly daemonized
GNATS to run without inetd, allowing it to keep a pool of DB
connections open.  I have not looked at his code, but he may have
resource management infrastructure in place to limit client
connections.  It would be interesting to dig in to.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/