Delete Records from Responsible and Leave Historical Records Unchanged

From: Craig Senior
Subject: Delete Records from Responsible and Leave Historical Records Unchanged
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:21:48 -0500

If we delete records from the responsible file when people leave our project, it sets the value of the responsible field in current PR records to "Unknown". Our desire is to remove their name from the dropdown list in the Responsible field, selected in the Edit PR form while retaining their name in Closed PR records and ideally in the Query forms (realising this last bit might be impossible).

Our workaround is to modify the responsible field to the new person in all PR records (even historical) before modifying the responsible file. The only problem with that workaround is it changes the name even for closed records and our history is incorrect ("Who controls the past controls the future." Orwell: "1984"), possibly contravening some Sarbanes-Oxley requirement (I'm not sure).

Help!

Craig Senior, CMIIC
AIMS Configuration Manager
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Place du Portage, Ph III, 2A1, Stn 26L
W (819) 956-3295
F (819) 956-6476
address@hidden