Re: Delete Records from Responsible and Leave Historical Records Unchang

From: Jo A Wahle
Subject: Re: Delete Records from Responsible and Leave Historical Records Unchanged
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:43:59 -0600

We have the same problem. I didn't delete them, but I put them at the bottom of the list and their full name field becomes
Invalid - was So-and-So
and the e-mail address is gnats-admin, just in case any e-mails get sent because the PR got updated. I've thought about setting up gnatsweb so that the Edit form would clean all of the "Invalid - *" entries from the list, but with all of them being at the bottom, it's not too bad. We've been using gnats for over 10 years, so the "Invalid - *" list at the bottom is getting pretty long now, though!

We have a similar problem with obsolete categories - someone might want to query them, but they shouldn't be selectable in the Create page or the Edit page. The same problem would exist with any of the enum lists - it's impossible to drop an entry from the enum list and maintain the integrity of historical PRs that have that value. I've thought about updating my dbconfig and my enum files to add a field like 'deleted' that contains perhaps a date or a comment as to why that enum item was deleted, then gnatsweb could exclude any entries where the 'deleted' field is non-null from the edit page and create page. (And maybe on the query page, put all of the 'deleted' items at the bottom of the list; maybe exclude 'deleted' items from an "any" query by default, too.) Doing that in your dbconfig is up to you; currently, however, there is nothing in gnatsweb (I assume you're referring to gnatsweb forms) that would look for such a field, currently.

--
Jo Wahle, Software Engineer, Engineering Support, SAIC
(Science Applications International Corporation – www.saic.com)

"Craig Senior" <address@hidden>
Sent by: address@hidden

02/14/2007 12:21 PM

<address@hidden>
cc
Subject
Delete Records from Responsible and Leave Historical Records        Unchanged

If we delete records from the responsible file when people leave our project, it sets the value of the responsible field in current PR records to "Unknown". Our desire is to remove their name from the dropdown list in the Responsible field, selected in the Edit PR form while retaining their name in Closed PR records and ideally in the Query forms (realising this last bit might be impossible).

Our workaround is to modify the responsible field to the new person in all PR records (even historical) before modifying the responsible file. The only problem with that workaround is it changes the name even for closed records and our history is incorrect ("Who controls the past controls the future." Orwell: "1984"), possibly contravening some Sarbanes-Oxley requirement (I'm not sure).

Help!

Craig Senior, CMIIC
AIMS Configuration Manager

Public Works and Government Services Canada

Place du Portage, Ph III, 2A1, Stn 26L

W (819) 956-3295

F (819) 956-6476

address@hidden