Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:51:06 +0200

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> Kai
>  =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=
> <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>], who wrote in article
> <vaf1y7huplb.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>:
>> /----
>> |   character: ¤ (07444, 3876, 0xf24)
>> |     charset: latin-iso8859-15
>> |              (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 9 (ISO/IEC 8859-15):
>> ISO-IR-203.)
>> |  code point: 36
>> |      syntax: w     which means: word
>> |    category: l:Latin
>> | buffer code: 0x8E 0xA4
>> |   file code: 0x8E 0xA4 (encoded by coding system emacs-mule)
>> |     Unicode: 20AC
>> |        font: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--14-130-75-75-C-70-ISO8859-15
>
> So it does not show which codepoint inside the font is chosen!

You see "code point: 36", and you see that it is the right-hand part
of the alphabet only.  So 128+36=164 is the actual code point you want.

>> | There are text properties here:
>> |   fontified            t
>> \----
>>
>> In the above output, it is easy to see if the glyph matches what it
>> should be.  I can do "man iso-8859-15" to look up what character has
>> code 128+36, and then I can compare it with the glyph.  And if the
>> "man" command told me to expect a Euro sign, but I'm seeing a
>> currency sign, then I know that something is wrong.
>
> As I said, I *know* that the output is wrong.  So how would what you
> say help me to debug/fix the problem.

You can look at the font name, for example.  And you can look at the
charset and compare that with your font, to see whether they match.

>> As you can easily see, the font name can be different.  And the glyph
>> (directly after "character: ") is of course also different.
>
> Is it the same glyph as in the buffer?  So what is the point of
> looking at *that*?  ;-)

Argh.

>> You can tell Emacs to use the foo font for the bar encoding.
>
> How?  And how do I tell Emacs in which encoding this font actually is?

You can't.  But you can do it the other way round: you can tell Emacs
to use the foo font for the bar encoding.  Investigate fontsets in
the Emacs documentation.

>> Maybe
>> you have (accidentally) told Emacs to use a KOI-R font for the
>> iso-8859-5 encoding, or something like this.
>
> With -no-init-file?  I doubt it.  ;-)

With a X11 resource, for instance.  You probably set the font for
your X11 apps somewhere (otherwise it would be "fixed").

>> If all else fails, you can of course also install fonts in your home
>> dir and tell X11 about them, and then tell Emacs to use one of those...
>
> I have seen machines where X server can't see user directories.

Oh, boy.

kai