Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"

From: Mark Landreville
Subject: Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:03:21 -0700

Hello:

I am using emacs 20.7 on a Linux Mandrake 8.1 system. I have so far been unsuccessful at editing files over FTP on my remote account. I recieve the following output:

ftp> open ftp.eskimo.com
Connected to ftp.eskimo.com.
220-
220 ftp.eskimo.com FTP server ready.
user "marklan" Turtle Power!
500 AUTH command not supported.
500 AUTH command not supported.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
ftp> 331 Password required for marklan.
230 User marklan logged in.
ftp>

I have created a .netrc file with my account login and password and it works for logging in by ftp, but it will not open a buffer in the remote directory on emacs. I was able to use ange-ftp in my previous linux system without any trouble, (Mandrake 6.1 with emacs20.4) and I can currently use ange-ftp on NT emacs with either windows 98 or windows 2000 in this same account. Does anyone out there have any ideas for any workarounds?

Any ideas would be much appreciated,

Mark Landreville