How to see the value of each char in a string?

From: David Combs
Subject: How to see the value of each char in a string?
Date: 26 Nov 2002 01:37:39 -0500

How to see the value of each char in a (long) string?

Here's why I need to do that:

In *shell*, (using csh), I yanked a command onto after the
shell-promt, hit <return>, and got BEEP.

I started hitting C-c's, couldn't kill the command I had
given.

Whenever I hit another <return>, I'd get echoed a ^G.

I opened another window (er, frame, X-window), did a
ps -ef | egrep '\<ls\>', and got nothing.

Any ideas?

(Also, how do you kill a command -- especially if you
can't seem to find it via "ps"?)

Thanks!

David