Re: syntax highlighting on a console

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: syntax highlighting on a console
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:35:11 +0000

Duncan Hughes <duncan@dunch.demon.co.nospam.uk> wrote on Mon, 25 Nov 2002
19:10:29 +0000:

> Hi, I'm using Emacs 20.7.2 (mipsel-ps2-linux-gnu) from a tty and I can't
> figure out syntax highlighting.
> I've tried M-x set-font-lock-mode and it appears to go into font-lock mode
> but nothing actually happens to the text.
> SH works fine when I run from within X and I just want to highlight
> C/C++/Makefiles so I'm pretty sure everything's installed.
> Sorry 'bout the dumb newbie question and thanx in advance.
> dunch.

No problem!  "Font-locking" (emacs jargon for syntax highlighting) on a
tty didn't appear until Emacs 21.1.

Upgrade!  (to 21.2).

There's a lot a really snazzy new stuff in Emacs 21 anyhow, so it'd be
worth upgrading even if you weren't bothered about tty font-locking.  For
what it's worth, I use tty font-locking (on Linux), I like it, and
wouldn't want to be without it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter