Re: Newbie Conditional Problem

From: CarlC
Subject: Re: Newbie Conditional Problem
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:09:16 GMT

"Friedrich Dominicus" <frido@q-software-solutions.com> wrote in message
87ptqvokj8.fsf@fbigm.here">news:87ptqvokj8.fsf@fbigm.here...
> I guess current-line is wrong the documentation for windows start
>
> gives `window-start' is a built-in function
> (window-start BUFFER &optional WHICH-FRAMES WHICH-DEVICES) and the -1
> is probably wrong too.
>
> I can't see how if fits. Try this
> (defun current-line ()
>   "Return the vertical position of point within the current buffer."
>    (+ (count-lines (point-min) (point))
>       (if (= (current-column) 0) 1 0)))

I copied the current-line function out of a manual. It seems to give good
results for this application. I have now replaced with your function and get
the same error. It doesn't seem to be related to the current-line function.
I am very frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a variable to return the
current line number like there is for current-column. The value is shown on
my mode line. Why do I have to copy a function to get this value???

Thanks for the help Friedrich. Any more suggestions?