Re: Couple questions

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Couple questions
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:25:07 +0200

"Harter, Douglas" <dharter@state.pa.us> writes:

> 1. My usr/local/share/emacs has 2 site-lisp directories one under emacs and
> one under emacs/21.1. The majority of the files are under
> usr/local/share/emacs/21.1. Does it matter which I put site stuff under?
> (one, either, both)

Consider what happens when you install a new version of Emacs, say
21.3.  It will read /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp (like 21.1) and
/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/site-lisp (unlike 21.3).

You can imagine what this means.

> 2. By setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local, will emacs be able to find all the
> emacs files it needs?

No.  The variable has effect for shared libraries, but many of the
files needed by Emacs are Lisp files.  The value of the variable
appears bogus, too.

C-h i d m Emacs RET
Then use i to invoke index search and enter "environment".  That will
point you to a list of environment variables used by Emacs.

But if Emacs starts up fine (with no error message), it probably found
all the files it needed, so why bother...