Re: off-topic?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: off-topic?
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 05:08:56 +0200

"Roodwriter@core.com" <Roodwriter@core.com> writes:

[...]
> And there are people that lament the additional usage of bandwidth just to
> make the message colorful. I don't find this argument compelling but I do
> have security concerns.

It becomes compelling as soon as your only access to the internet is a
connection that is supposed to be 56k but most of the time crawls with
about 30k, and you receive about 50 to 70 mails per day, and the
majority of that mail contains html or html+text, with full quotes,
that are between 3 to 10 times larger than necessary.

I don't find the securety argument compelling. Whatever bad script
there may be contained in the HTML, it has to be interpreted to do any
harm and my mailreader is well educated and doesn't do bad things[1].

Another thing for which I detest 99% of all the HTML mails is the idea
that it is a good thing to force a specific font at a specific size in
a specific color with a specific background on me. *I* know best what
is good for my eyes. Noone else does.

That is not to say that I wouldn't welcome some syntactic markup
language that would provide something like <h1>, <h2>, <b>, <ul> ...
etc. But not much more. Something like an extended text/enriched, but
text/enriched itself is a bit too poor ...

> I also don't know if there are other Linux e-mail programs that
> allow you to send HTML mail. Some of the others I looked at didn't
> appear to. But things change and my distribution is a year old.
[...]

Mozilla?

    Oliver

Footnotes:
[1] Just don't set `gnus-auto-eval-lisp-snippets' to t, if you use
Gnus.

--
14 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!