Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:29:23 -0400

henrik.jonsson@se.transport.bombardier.com (Henrik Jönsson) writes:

> My initial question was of course if the functions in Slickedit
> exists in emacs. Some of them exists I know.
>
> * Autocompletion of expressions. When the user write "if " it expands
> automatically into a full if template. Can this be done with
> skeletons?

Yes, you just combine skeletons with abbrev.  I like to type "ifx " to
expand my template in C mode:

(define-skeleton my-skeleton-c-if
  "Insert a c if statement" nil
  "if (" > _ ")" \n
  "{" '(indent-for-tab-command) \n
  \n
  "}" '(indent-for-tab-command))
(define-abbrev c-mode-abbrev-table "ifx" "" 'my-skeleton-c-if)

> * "Intellisense". I know that semantic can do something like this, but
> does it work for everyday use? Has anyone tried it?

I think semantic is still a work in progress, but some have had
success with it.  Another option is xref (http://www.xref.sk/), which
is commercial, $29 I think, and works for C and Java.  In addition,
the JDE works great for java.

> * Dynamic Tagging. Go to the function declaration etc. I haven't used
> tags that much.

etags, M-x visit-tags-table and M-. work great for me.
--
Benjamin