Re: global-set-key [? \ M-ö]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: global-set-key [? \ M-ö]
Date: 25 May 2003 20:05:00 -0400

> Because I thought `ö' to be an ASCII character.
> `7-bit-ASCII' would have been more precise, I guess.

ASCII tends to be use loosely to mean "plain text", but really ASCII is
a character set with 128 elements coded in 7bits.  We should probably be
more careful in the doc to make it clear that ASCII is not just "plain
text".

> Because I looked at the help page `Rebinding Keys in Your Init File'
> that did not mention `unibyte' at all. Not even with a link to the

Good.  It shouldn't mention unibyte.  If something requires you to use
unibyte, it's probably because there's a bug (or because you've erroneously
used unibyte elsewhere).

> Because the example at the same page `[?\C-=]' worked.
> (There is a bug. `=' is considered non-ASCII, which is wrong.)

I think if you reread closely, you'll note that what is meant is that C-=
is not ASCII (whereas C-m, for example, *is* the ASCII character with code
13 usually spelled "carriage return").

        Stefan