Re: Background colors in font-lock-keywords

From: lawrence mitchell
Subject: Re: Background colors in font-lock-keywords
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:15:35 +0100

Oliver Scholz wrote:

[...] PREPEND versus APPEND in font-lock-keywords.

> Erm, this code was just example code, so I am personally not so sure
> which one should take precedence, the old fontification or the new
> one. It's hard for me to make an educated guess, because the major
> mode has no meaning, and so the fontification has no meaning.

> But maybe you have a more general reason to say this. Could you
> please elaborate?

The way I read it, if using `append', rather than `prepend',
in the example above, EXAMPLE-L-WORD-FACE would change the
background iff FONT-LOCK-WARNING-FACE and
FONT-LOCK-KEYWORD-FACE, did not set the background colour.
Certainly in my Emacs setup, said faces have had their
backgrounds set explicitly.

Maybe a font-lock wizard can jump in with a better and/or
correct explanation.

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>