Re: specifying Windows filenames

From: Harald Joerg
Subject: Re: specifying Windows filenames
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:55:59 +0200

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> Harald Joerg <haj@oook.m.uunet.de> writes:
>
>> Sorry, I really should have checked this before.  I've been fooled by
>> the fact that cygwin _Emacs_ does not accept Windows notation.
>
> Really? The cygwin port is now merged into Emacs CVS, so
> M-x report-emacs-bug

I hesitate to report such things as "bugs", nevertheless, even if
every software which can be vanilla-installed from a cygwin mirror is
obligated to accept DOS paths (Is it?  That's OT here, of course).

Here and then I install stuff from elsewhere and I have been
accustomed to "`cygpath -u`" DOS paths if I find them.  I've learnt
now that I have been too careful for most cygwin stuff, but I think it
is sensible to be defensive as a general approach.

Just recently I have moved from NTEmacs to cygwin Emacs because I have
been unable to resolve the path misunderstandings (e.g. regarding
tempfiles) between NTEmacs and either Mailcrypt or bogofilter (the
latter two built on cygwin).  Hmm... maybe I should have asked
here...?

> [...]
> I would expect the Cygwin version to have the following behaviour:
>
> (expand-file-name "c:/test")   -> "/cygdrive/c/test"
> (expand-file-name "c:\\test")  -> "/cygdrive/c/test"
>

> Does it do something different?

I should have reported my Emacs version:
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2003-01-23 on DRACO,
running on Win2000.
  (expand-file-name "c:/test")   -> "/usr/haj/c:/test"
  (expand-file-name "c:\\test")  -> "/usr/haj/c:\\test"
(my cwd happens to be /usr/haj). Maybe CVS Emacs is different.

--
Cheers,
haj