Re: numeric keypad buttons

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: numeric keypad buttons
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:29:01 -0600

Tobias Verbeke wrote:

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Sorry, that should be (all caps)

        M-x getenv RET TERM RET

This gives xterm

Good.

No, I was suggesting code to put in your ~/.emacs file as a
workaround.

I put it there, but this appeared not
to solve the problem. I tried then to
add these lines to xterm.el, thinking
the gnome terminal could be some reincarnation
of xterm, but it didn't work out either

The gnome terminal (or the shell running in the terminal) is telling
Emacs via the TERM environment variable that it is an xterm.  I don't
know whether that's correct or not, but since its sending unrecognized
escape sequences for the keypad keys, I guess it's not -- but it's a
problem that should be easy to work around.

Making changes to the .el files distributed with Emacs is a not a good
idea, because it is generally ineffective and complicates site
maintenance.

I guess another terminal will have to do
the job, then. Unless you have another idea to get this newbie take
another step in the right direction.

Let's see if we can get the work around to actually work.  Please

post exactly what you added to your ~/.emacs.

--
Kevin Rodgers