Please why ORDER of .emacs lines here matters.....

From: Christian Seberino
Subject: Please why ORDER of .emacs lines here matters.....
Date: 31 Jul 2003 13:14:41 -0700

Notice the py-indent-offset line (2nd one) below.  If I move this
line further down then I don't
get 8 space idents anymore.  The order matters!!!! But why???

  (defun cs-python-mode()
      (setq-default  py-indent-offset        8            )
      (python-mode)
      (turn-on-font-lock)
      (setq-default  auto-fill-function      'do-auto-fill)
      (setq-default  py-python-command       "python2.2"  )
      (setq-default  py-continuation-offset  8            )
      (setq-default  py-smart-indentation    nil          )
      (setq-default  py-block-comment-prefix "#"          ))

P.S. This code gets run when I open a file with ".py" extension.  This
puts me into python-mode (along with my tweaks) for Python source code.