Re: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?

From: Uwe Siart
Subject: Re: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:15:31 +0200

Bjoern wrote:

I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I think, although I am not too sure about the exact timing), I have been unable to associate files with emacs. The 'open with' dialog doesn't accept runemacs as input.

Well, I don't know why your OS does not accept any arbitrary program as application for 'open'. I'm rinning W2k and I don't face problems of this kind at all. But anyway, to associate files with Emacs, you should consider using gnuserv and consequently better associate files to gnuclient. runemacs will start a new emacs process anytime you call it while gnuclient picks the file, loading it in a new buffer of an already running emacs. Much more convenient and 'emacs-like'.

Sorry this does not solve your problem directly. But once you solved it, this might even increase your happiness with emacs.

--
Uwe