Re: virtual space?

From: Michael Durland
Subject: Re: virtual space?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:25:41 GMT

"Sudarshan S. Chawathe" <chaw@cs.umd.edu> wrote in message
m3oewcki9r.fsf@Buckbeak.cs.umd.edu">news:m3oewcki9r.fsf@Buckbeak.cs.umd.edu...

> "Michael Durland" <mdurland@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to tell emacs to allow the cursor to move anywhere in a
> > window?  By default, the cursor seems to be restricted to only move
where
> > there is actually text in the open file.  This is a common option in
other
> > editors.
>
> M-x picture-mode

I tried picure-mode, but that seems to insert tabs into the file as soon as
the cursor is moved into empty space.  I don't want to modify the file, I
just want to be able to move the cursor anywhere.  Only if I start typing in
that empty space, then I do want it to fill the empty space with tabs and/or
spaces.