Re: EDB date display dies in 21.3

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: EDB date display dies in 21.3
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:40:37 +0100

ChipsChap <chungkuo@chungkuo.org> writes:

> I have a report, which I confirmed but mistakenly attributed to
> Windows EMACS, that EDB (and as a consequence the recently released
> ELIP app) fails when doing date display under Emacs 21.3.  You might
> know that I tested from Emacs 19 up through Emacs 21.2 with no
> problem...... it figures.

The date and time functions in EDB are broken ... bitrot.  It's not
only an issue for Emacs 21.3, I've also seen it in 20.7.

The problem is that EDB defines its own date functions in the global
name space (i.e. without a proper package prefix).  This is bound to
break sooner or later.  The solution would be to go through EDB and
replace them with the built-in Emacs date & time functions.

NB: Please use gnu.emacs.sources for source code _only_.  Questions
and discussion should go to gnu.emacs.help.

Crosspost & Followup-To: gnu.emacs.help