Re: Latin-1 under MacOS

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Latin-1 under MacOS
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:13:45 +0100

In article <xcv7jzukppf.fsf@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>,
 tfb@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) wrote:

> I'm not sure why that isn't working for you.  Here's what I have in my
> .emacs:
>
> ;; Apparently we need to create a "fontset" for every Mac font that we use.
> ;; We need to tell the fontset to include the font for *every* encoding
> ;; we want it to support, otherwise, we'll get little boxes.  This *sucks*.
> (create-fontset-from-fontset-spec
>  "-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-monaco,
> ascii:-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-100-mac-roman,
> latin-iso8859-1:-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-100-mac-roman")
>
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       `((font . "fontset-monaco")
>       (width . 85) (height . 30)
>       ,@default-frame-alist))

Thanks!  It didn't work at first, but then I decided to remove
everything else from my .emacs and from site-start.el. I kept just those
lines and

(setq mac-keyboard-text-encoding kTextEncodingISOLatin1)

for the keyboard. And that works!

I will have to work through all the remaining stuff to see what causes
the conflict. Nothing evident of course, nothing that touches the
display. But who knows what those mode initialization files do...

> Try evaluating the call to create-fontset-from-fontset-spec that you
> have by pasting it into the *scratch* buffer, then hitting C-j.  Do
> you get any errors?  If not, M-x

The fontset generation was not the problem, no error message and
"list-fontsets" always showed the new one. It is activating the font set
that seems to be a bit fragile.

More later...

Konrad (cheering up :-)