Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?
Date: 28 Apr 2004 07:39:11 +0200

> From: Eric Smith <eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 27 Apr 2004 16:15:28 -0700
>
> > in which case there's no way for Emacs to figure out whether your
> > background is dark or light, so it might guess wrong, in which case you
> > should customize frame-background-mode manually.
>
> s/it might guess wrong/it does guess wrong/

In your case, perhaps.  In general, it does guess correctly in quite a
few cases.  If you still think Emacs _always_ guesses wrong, please
describe your reasons; one specific case---yours---is not enough to
justify a general claim.

> Why does it guess?

Because there's no method known to Emacs developers to query the
terminal about its default background color.

> the default assumption on a text terminal should be that the user
> does NOT want color.

That would be a bad default, since most Emacs users do want color on
the text terminal.