How to populate a property list?

From: Hattuari
Subject: How to populate a property list?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:09:16 -0400

Suppose I have a collection of key values pairs as follows:

char  c
short s
int   i
long  l

I want to put them in a property list.  I can do this:

(setq type-map '(char c short s int i long l))

Which works for this short list.  I don't find it particularly expressive.
I can try playing with the format:

(setq type-map
      '(char c
             short s
             int i
             long l))

That's heading nowhere fast.
I can try adding additional pairs like this:
(setq type-map (plist-put type-map 'float 'f))

That, however, seems excessively verbose. Is there a more concise means of
adding the members of a property list in pairwise fashion?
--
p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m