Re: Large files

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Large files
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:07:07 +0100

Am 11.01.2005 um 20:22 schrieb Carsten Weinberg:

how about disk file editing?

IMO this is a so-called "feature" that an underprivileged OS might need. When you don't have tools as on UNIX or Linux that can deal efficiently with data you might develop the idea of reading some GB from disk to retrieve a few bytes. Since mature file systems have a journal it's not recommended to bypass this system and "edit" inodes or the journal on disk directly.

Besides, isn't there already tar-mode? Doesn't it allow to manipulate an even compressed set of archived files? If you feel better with that power at your finger prints ...

Sometimes I do have to deal with enormous archives, wanting to 'look inside' before doing anything. I get often asked then whether I really want to do it -- and than sometimes it fails to open and view the archive because of limitations. OK! From the command line I can have a look into too, not that comfortable, but at least with the help of UNIX I am a bit as flexible as Flexi Girl ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim me
as a German, and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world.
Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German, and
Germany will declare that I am a Jew.          --Albert Einstein, 1929