Controlling `fill-paragraph'

From: Denis Bueno
Subject: Controlling `fill-paragraph'
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:21:13 -0500

Is there a way to control just how `fill-paragraph' works?

I was just editing a lisp function whose documentation string is:

  "Create a perceptron learner. Returns a net of one node, i.e., a
perceptron. ;; <= this line

     EXAMPLES => (#(x_1 ... x_n) y)
ACTIVATION-FN => #'sigmoid (for example)
WEIGHT-VECTOR => #(w_1 ... w_n)

If weight-vector is unspecified, each weight w_i will be randomly
chosen such that 0 < w_i < 0.25."

I put my cursor on the text marked by "this line" and hit M-q, which
resulted in the text changing to:

  "Create a perceptron learner. Returns a net of one node, i.e., a perceptron.

     EXAMPLES => (#(x_1 ... x_n) y) ACTIVATION-FN =>
#'sigmoid (for example) WEIGHT-VECTOR => #(w_1 ... w_n)

If weight-vector is unspecified, each weight w_i will be randomly
chosen such that 0 < w_i < 0.25."

I expected that it would wrap the line "Create a perceptron..."
instead of wrapping two lines under it together. Is there I way I can
customize `fill-paragraph' so that it will wrap the way I expect?

--
Denis Bueno