Re: antialiased fonts

From: Rob Wilco
Subject: Re: antialiased fonts
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 19:05:17 +0200

> > Has anyone ever seen antialiased font with emacs?
> Me. Many times.
Great news, I have hope.

I have read the thorougly read this thread and I have many questions (and still no antialiased fonts !).

I wish to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for the antialised font. I am pretty sure it is an TrueType font that can be antialiased because every file related to "bitstream" is in a ttf folder.

* How to be sure a font is TrueType or bitmap? Can xfontsel of xslfont tell if a font is TrueType or Bitmap or else?

I assume that if Gnome displays antialiased fonts then my X supports it. (because gtk uses XFT).

 * Am I right with that?

With your advice, I have set the following font in .emacs (my .emacs is minimal, it only contains the following two lines):

(defvar veramono "-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1")
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist (cons 'font veramono))

And actually, the font looks like my default system font, except that it is not antialiased (and ugly on a lcd screen).

 * What did I miss ?

I tried "M-x apropos: fonts" but tons of entries and several are functions unavailable on my system. (I tried M-x then "x-" and then TAB but there only x-set-selection while "M-x apropos: fonts" says there are lots of functions beginning with x-font-*)

 * How can I change fonts on the fly with emacs?

Or invoke C-h H and then check with C-u C-x = the glyphs.

If I type C-h H C-u C-x =, then I do get "Hello" in several langage and informations on the font used where the point is.

None of those are anti aliased.

 * What do you mean by check the glyphs?  What does it teaches me?