Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem

From: Angelina Carlton
Subject: Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:24:14 -0500

> The terminal emulation is of course an X11 client. But Emacs inside it
> not. It's just a shell command. In terminals GNU Emacs uses ncurses or
> similiar means to 'draw' its window(s). GNU Emacs too uses different
> interfaces to receive the 'key events.' Only the windowing system's
> clients see these events, shell commands receive some ANSI codes, as
> sent by the terminal emulation. In X11 this one translates from X11
> key events to ANSI terminal codes.

Hi Peter,
I strayed somewhat from your method and put some code in my .emacs to
re-map the function keys after everything is loaded..

,----
| (defun fixmap()
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f1] [f11] function-key-map)
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f2] [f12] function-key-map)
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f3] [f13] function-key-map)
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f4] [f14] function-key-map)
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f5] [f15] function-key-map)
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f6] [f16] function-key-map))
| (add-hook 'term-setup-hook 'fixmap)
`----

This now works for emacs22 -nw but the modifiers don't work yet,
The Super_R and Hyper_L don't work of course because they re only set up
for X apps.

C-q Hyper-L isn't passed through so I am not sure what the escape code is
and cant use global-set-key interactively.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net