Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:56:11 GMT

On 2007-02-08, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> What are all you people doing with emacs ?

I use it for writing papers (Auctex mode for LaTeX) and analysis (Ess
mode for R). I also use it as my mail and newsgroup editor. I haven't
figured out gnus yet, but eventually I expect I'll migrate to that and
retire mutt and slrn.

When I'm writing or working on stats I generally use it as an X app,
with 2-6 buffers of scripts, papers, and processes on two Emacs
windows, plus the additional X windows that are generated with xdvi
and R. When I'm doing quick edits or responding to mail or newsgroups
I use it in a terminal. I usually have Emacs, firefox, and a bunch of
xterms running spread over four desktops with fluxbox, although as I
get more comfortable with Emacs I do more of my command line stuff
from there, either with meta-! or shell-mode.

I've been using Emacs for a year or two now, and I'm constantly
learning how to make better use of its capabilities, so I'm interested
in the response from more experienced users.

Thanks for the study-break!

--
Regards,

Tyler Smith