Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:49:35 +0800

*On 2 Apr 2007 16:15:37 GMT
* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried
out:

> CHENG Gao wrote:
>> Thanks for your info. I browsed ebib manual and thought it can only
>>  operate on a pre-created bib file. Glad to know it can create the file.
>
> mmm... i admit, it's burried a bit in the manual. the very last paragraph
> in section 2.1 "Getting Started" mentions it.
>
> anyway, ebib is meant to be used with bibtex files, and bibtex is meant to
> be used with latex, not as a stand-alone bibliography database engine. so
> if you just want to create a database of your books and dvds, and have no
> intention of using it with latex, ebib is probably not the best tool for
> the job.

Thanks Joost. After reading manual more carefully I know how to create
new file now.

And I have a problem now.
I dont like Customize, so instead I add my entry type for movie in my
init.el like this:

,----
| (require 'ebib)
| (global-set-key "\C-ce" 'ebib)
| (add-to-list 'ebib-entry-types '(movie

|      (name director actors actress producer year dvd-type audio subtitle
time)
|      (rating comment)))
`----

Here I have to use require instead of autoload for purpose of altering
value of ebib-entry-types.
Then I create from scratch my dvd file by:
M-x ebib RET
o ~/.emacs.d/dvd.bib RET
a -- input my first entry "the-merchant-of-venice:2004" (Movie The
Merchant of Venice is released in 2004. I use name:year as key).
And since default type is "article", I press "e" on type, and I can not
change it to "movie". TAB shows no "movie" in list.

So instead of adding my type directly into ebib.el, what should I do?
Anything I did is wrong?

Even as you said, ebib may not be my best solution, I think it's a not
bad solution to me since I only need basic features like input data and
search. And most important, it's Emacs solution.

Thanks for your good job. Though I have no idea about bibtex, I think
ebib is cool and useful.