Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:13:34 +0200

30ish emacs user <kalap.kabat@freemail.hu> writes:

Hi,

> I'm wondering which age group most Emacs users fall into? How old are
> you? I'm 32.

I'm 26, but I started using it about 5 years ago. Sometimes I used
Eclipse for some Java projects, and although it has some superior
features (e.g. the refactoring tools and support for all features
introduced after java 5) I always came back to emacs quickly.

The thing with those "modern" apps is that most of them have one or two
areas where they shine, but a lot more areas where they're far from
complete or even buggy.

Once I was at a workshop where one guy gave an introduction into
programming extensions for the eclipse framework and I thought that I
could write any extension to emacs in much shorter time as it takes to
only edit the bunch of configuration XML files an eclipse extension
needs.

So In my opinion eclipse (and Java) are like bureaucracy, whereas emacs
and elisp are like "just do it".

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The  desire  to  be  rewarded  for one's  creativity  does  not  justify
depriving  the world  in  general of  all  or part  of that  creativity.