Re: code completion with type check

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: code completion with type check
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:57:06 +0200

Martin <m.gercke@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. shows me the parameter list when I start a functioncall.
> 2. gives me a choice for my parameter, e.g. if the parameter's type is
> an enum of type test_enum_t (s.below) then I want the extension to
> show me that I can pick CHOICE_A and CHOICE_B.
> In some C++ or Delphi IDEs this is done by CTRL-Space.

> So, there must be something like this out there, right?

I'm afraid you won't find the exact thing you're looking for.  CEDET's
Semantic offers some completion mechanisms, but none as integrated and
complete as you see in some IDEs.  `semantic-idle-summary-mode' is
probably your best bet for parameter lists.

I doubt there's anything offering syntactic completions with type checks.

You might find some more stuff at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/WhatAreTheNeedsOfProgrammers
and
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/HowSemanticFulfillsThoseNeeds

But if you're looking for the IntelliSense fix[0], Emacs is probably not
the best place.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

[0] for a witty take on that topic, see:
    http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html