Re: problem saving history

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: problem saving history
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:51:42 -0400

>   I have a problem which is driving me nuts and can't find anything
> with google. When I edit some file or work in Slime REPL and close
> emacs, I get this error:

> "Wrong type argument: stringp, \\.\\.\\." while saving history

Looks like some code trie to save some kind of history (maybe history
variables) and it does it by pretty-printing the value but the value is not
fully printed because it's too long so it ends up with a `...' which later
causes the above error.

> I was trying to locate which variable (or something else) holds the
> location of history file (or does it work in completely different
> way?) but my emacs-lisp-fu equals to almost zero.

Try the set "Options => Enter Debugger on Error" and then reproduce the
error, this should put you in a *backtrace* buffer where you'll get a bit
more information.  If you don't understand this info, post it here.

        Stefan