RE: emacs new user.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs new user.
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:37:22 -0700

> where can I see a list of all the minor and
> major modes I have and the commands to enable them?

The Emacs manual would be a start.

There are lots and lots of major and minor modes. Do you program in Fortran?
If not, do you want to know that there is a major mode for it?

If you are interested in generally exploring and finding out what's
available, then start with the Emacs manual. If you want to know about
available modes for a particular context, then you might also check Emacs
Wiki.

Suggestion: If your goal is to learn to use Emacs, start by aiming at what
you might want to do with it, rather than trying to know all of the possible
modes.

Always and always, the Emacs manual is your friend. So is the help system:
C-h C-h. Talk to it and listen to what it says back.