Re: Emacs as an IDE

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: Emacs as an IDE
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:54:41 +0200

>>>>> "polymedes" == polymedes  <polymedes@gmail.com> writes:

    polymedes> I would like to use emacs for software development and I
    polymedes> currently am learning it. I use the command "dabbrev-expand"
    polymedes> (bound to M-/) to expand (autocomplete) funtion and variable
    polymedes> names. But how can I see the function definition _while_ I'm
    polymedes> typing ?

    polymedes> In all IDEs when you type the opening parenthesis a tooltip shows
    polymedes> you the arguments that you should pass to the function.

In *all* IDE's? Hui!

    polymedes> What do emacs developers usually do?

They google for it :-) This is a FAQ. Look for cedet, ecb and intellisense:

     http://cedet.sourceforge.net/intellisense.shtml

    polymedes> Furthermore, if the function is overloaded how can somebody know
    polymedes> all the definitions?

    polymedes> These questions apply to C++, Java, Python and C#

cedet and ecb do work (at least) for C and C++, there is the Java Development
Environment
for Emacs:

    http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

Since you don't like google:

The Emacs Lisp List is a good starting point for looking for lisp packages for
Emacs:

    http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sje30/emacs/ell.html

And last but not least there is the EmacsWiki:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki

Hope this helps...

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

You will pay for your sins. If you have already paid, please
disregard this message.