Re: multiple emacs servers

From: David L
Subject: Re: multiple emacs servers
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:44:48 -0700

On 10/18/07, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/18/07, David L <idht4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> The emacs manual says:
>
> You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
> each one a unique "server name", using the variable `server-name'.  For
> example, `M-x set-variable <RET> server-name <RET> foo <RET>' sets the
> server name to `foo'.
>
> I can't get this to work.  Am I doing something wrong or is this
> documentation obsolete?

What are you doing, exactly?

I'm trying to use  M-x set-variable from an open emacs session to
set the "server-name" variable.  But the only variable that emacs
will let me set that starts with "server" is "server-mode".  I can't
even describe-variable "server-name" until after the server is
started and I still can't set-variable server-name even after it is
started.
<snip>

  emacs -q --eval '(progn (setq server-name "server1") (server-start))'
  emacs -q --eval '(progn (setq server-name "server2") (server-start))'

and you can use:

  emacsclient --server-file=server1 my-file
  emacsclient --server-file=server2 my-other-file
This works, thanks!  But I don't think the procedure in the
documentation works.?