Re: hebrew in emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: hebrew in emacs
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:33:15 +0100

Am 07.11.2007 um 12:24 schrieb Eddy-14:

the X11 fonts I tried are difficult to read in hebrew, they don't go left to right, and they put the vowels after the consonants (instead of under or
above).

I am quite sure that GNU Emacs can't do that. It can work when the application is reading the tables inside a font file that tell the application to create these ligatures or combinations from the glyphs. GNU Emacs is not such an application, even if Unicode Emacs 23.0.60 can make use of OT fonts via libotf.

I have tried using xfd

You can also use xfontsel and give it a Hebrew text to display ... via an X resource, most probably via XTerm*sampleTextUCS. Restricting the encoding and the spacing you'll have just a few choices.

or, better: I use for my other applications a great font, but it is not a
X11 font. is there a way to "import" it to emacs?

Convert it to TTF or some PostScript fonts (for the glyph ranges each) and then integrate them into X11. The xset utility tells you where it searches for fonts. After putting the fonts into such a path component you'll need to run mkfontdir and mkfontscale (all with root privileges) to make X11 see them. A final 'xset fp rehash' will make them available to all X clients that have been launched afterwards ...

Did you invoke C-h H to see the HELLO file? When you're able to create a fonts or fontsets list with all your system's fonts as pop- up menu for GNU Emacs, you can simply walk through all these entries and see how the HELLO file looks with each ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.