Re: Emacs for Mac

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 06:58:55 -0600

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:43:41 +0000 Alberto Simões
<albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> wrote:

AS> For some time that the emacs I use on my Mac is a hand compiled
AS> one. CVS checkout, disable X11, enable Carbon.

AS> Now, I have a new mac, and thus, I need to recompile Emacs. CVS
AS> checked out, configure and... Carbon is deprecated.

AS> The question is: it is deprecated and no other solution is being developed?

The consensus (as I recall, this was a recent discussion with a LOT of
messages) was that after the next release of Emacs the Carbon/Cocoa
issue would be reconsidered, and probably the Cocoa port would be merged
in to replace the Carbon port.  Meanwhile the CVS Carbon port is
deprecated and keyboard input there is broken AFAIK.

AS> And yes, there is aquamacs that sucks because tried to mimic mac-os
AS> specific key bindings, and there is emacs.app, that is the one I am
AS> using, but that is damn slow with flyspell (slower on my macbook pro
AS> than the hand built one on powerbook).

Emacs.App is the Cocoa port that's being considered.  It has a mailing
list and lots of helpful users, so post about your flyspell problem
there and you should get a reply.

Ted