Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:49:39 +0200

> On Sat, May 03 2008, Jason Rumney wrote:
>> On May 3, 8:39 pm, Steinar Bang <s...@dod.no> wrote:

>>> Hm... it's in a US locale, with Norwegian keyboard settings, Norwegian
>>> time and a lot of other Norwegian settings.

>> In that case (set-language-environment "Latin-1") in your .emacs will
>> set up a lot of useful defaults.

> In case Steinar uses en_US.UTF-8 this might not be what he wants.

Hm... /etc/default/locale has the following content
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

So I guess that's what I have.

> FWIW, there's also norwegian-postfix input method, which might me less
> intrusive than a full-blown latin method:

Actually I have the norwegian characters on my keyboard.  What I miss
most, are the ones I didn't have on my keyboard that the latin mode
provided (the a and o umlaut, the degree sign etc.).

I had a look at the swedish-postfix method, but the character
combinations used would be too intrusive, I think.

The "o to get an umlaut, and the // to get a degree sign, are
"programmed" into my fingers, and I find myself typing them, and being
disappointed when the expected thing doesn't happen...:-)