Re: Special character Emacs

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Special character Emacs
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:29:08 +0200

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:43:31 -0700 (PDT) Andreas Wittmann wrote:

> i'm using Emacs 21.4.1 with ubuntu hardy, today i established that it
> isn't possible for me to use the '^'-sign in emacs.

That sounds more like an X problem to me.  Long time ago since I used a
German layout, but I remember that there where problems getting X to
make this pesky key work.

> Especially i ned this character very often when working with LaTeX or
> R. Can someone give me a hint what to do here?

Seriously, switch to an US layout.  TeX with a German layout gives you
cancer in the hand.  All these \[{}] are just impossible to type.
Auctex and ispell work well with `"u' style umlauts.

David