Re: possible to exchange server and client?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: possible to exchange server and client?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:47:37 +0200

Am 14.07.2008 um 11:40 schrieb anhnmncb:

But there has been. See two screenshots, first is org-mode in emacs
server, which is running in the dtach sesstion on urxvt; second is
org-mode in emacsclient which is with the same emacs server:
            http://paste.ubuntu.org.cn/i8055
            http://paste.ubuntu.org.cn/i8054
You can see, in emacsclient, the column view can't display properly,
it's not relative to the color-theme. Emacs server works well.

It's – to me – not a question wether something works correctly or not. To me it looks like a difference in default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist. Check these!

Make also tests with command line options like -q and -Q to see customised and "vanilla" behaviour.

Now what I want is: Start emacs server on xorg, then run an emacsclient
in console and make it to be a server, so the old client becomes new
server and the old server becomes client?

There is no frame, window, or particle of GNU Emacs that can claim: "Hey, *I* am the server!" (You can start it form ~/.emacs!) As long as in the multi-tty GNU Emacs 23.0.60 one particle of that Emacs is left (even when running in the background, but not when completely suspended, i.e., C-z without fg in terminal) which started in any particle the server, the server is on, running, and accessible from emacsclient. *Each* particle is the server and every particle could have been a client. It's as with hard-links. Why don't you try it? You dont need to quit first Emacs, just stop its server (although not really needed, but less complication on the command line) and launch another instance of GNU Emacs! There aren't so many on this list that did the same as you are trying to do. Therefore the lack of good replies.

You won't learn much English when just testing (and not writing), but doing (in)sane experiments will make you experienced and sure about what you are doing. Or trying to ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

To be is to do.