Re: emacs as a service

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs as a service
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:42:59 +0200

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Rustom Mody wrote:

>>> Have you tried this with a single existing frame? Does not allow it
>>> for me...
>>
>> That's a feature.  :-)
>>
>> When I run emacs as a server, I often start many frames as I double
>> click various files.  At times, I want to clean up by deleting these
>> frames.  But I don't want to delete the very last frame (would that
>> kill the server?).
>>
>> The use model for emacs as a server is that you start it once at log
>> in and let it run forever.
>>

> Must the server have a physical display though? Can emacs client connect
> and generate its own frame and display? e.g so I dont accidentally close
> the "server" when tidying up I would like the "server" to by invisible.

One can use the multitty branch of emacs (or perhaps I'm late and it's
already merged somewhere?). Then you can launch emacs in detachtty or
screen, and still make frames on X displays.

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.