Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Christian Herenz
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:06:55 +0200

Xah schrieb:

I think the existance of the lisp scratch buffer is one of the major
usability problem of emacs that prevents emacs from being widely
adopted by most text editing audience.

Hah... Having not read the whole conversation of this topic, I want to add an experience I made last week. I was in the lab, and saw that a guy on the other site worked inside an xemacs session. I asked him, why he puts everything in the *scratch* buffer - and he looked at me and asked "buffer - scratch - sure you are allright". I think that lots of emacs users today just use emacs as it where notepad.exe or something like that, especially in scientifc environments some people could boost their productivity, if they would at least know some of the basics of the editor in the beginning of their career. When I told the guy: "Do you know, that you can open more than one file at a time in emacs?" He asked me: "Why the hell should I want to do that - I just open another emacs...".

Just a little story...

Greets,
Christian