Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:58:03 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

> Hmm. No joy here on Debian.
>
> shell-command worked though but only for directories. For files the
> cursor sat spinning - possibly because the process was waiting for
> emacsclient to respond?

I don't know.  What happens if you eval?

  (start-process "dired-external" "*dired-external*"
                 "xdg-open" "http://www.freedesktop.org/";)

There should be some output in the *dired-external* buffer now.

Hm, strange.  This doesn't work here, too, and in *dired-external*
there's only "Process dired-external finished".  If I replace "xdg-open"
with "conkeror" it'll start conkeror on freedesktop.org.

  xdg-open http://www.freedesktop.org/

in a terminal starts conkeror on freedesktop.org, too.  I'm totally
stunned why this doesn't work from inside emacs.  But

  (start-process "dired-external" "*dired-external*"
                 "xdg-open" (getenv "HOME"))

does work and open thunar in my HOME.

Can anyone enlighten me why the first call has no result but the second
works as expected?

Bye,
Tassilo