Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:47:28 +0200

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>>> There's `xdg-open' which given a directory or file argument should
>>> open it with the system's default application.
>>
>> Where is this defined? It does not exist on my debian system.
>
> Here on Gentoo GNU/Linux it's in the xdg-utils package.

Yes - I was being stupid - I thought you were referring to an elisp
function! :-;

>> Also would you know how to make "e" open the directory/file under the
>> cursor? Your comments above indicate you thought this to be the case -
>> it actually opens the current dir.
>
> Ah, ok.  I wasn't too sure what `dired-current-directory' returns.
>
> Assuming you have xdg-open installed, something like this might do the
> trick.
>
> (defun dired-open-externally ()
>   "Open the current directory in your OS's file manager."
>   (interactive)
>   (start-process "dired-external" nil "xdg-open" (dired-get-file-for-visit)))
>
> Then the logic what application to use for opening the given file or
> directory is inside xdg-open.  On GNU/Linux it takes these informations
> from /etc/mailcap and ~/.mailcap, AFAICT.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

If I "xdg-open ." from the command line it works great.

If I change xdg-open for nautilus in the code below it works. (Using
nautilus that is).

But using xdk-open there it does not work for me (debian). Does it work
on your Linux install?

-->-->--
(defun dired-open-externally ()
  "Open the current directory in your OS's file manager."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fileobject (dired-get-file-for-visit)))
        (start-process "dired-external" nil "xdg-open" fileobject)
        (message "file is %s" fileobject)
        )
)

(define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "e") 'dired-open-externally)
-->-->--