Re: text properties in tex mode

From: Kostas Oikonomou
Subject: Re: text properties in tex mode
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:11:53 -0400

Harven,

Thank you for the reply.

> Thus any face you set is overwritten by the font-lock processing. > Disabling font-lock-mode (M-x font-lock-mode) brings back the menu > you are interested in, but you will lose the coloring provided by
> latex-mode.

I have indeed disabled font-lock mode everywhere by

(global-font-lock-mode -1)

in my init.el file. I don't mind losing font-lock coloring in my Latex buffer. But when I then do Edit -> Text Properties -> Background color, I get the error I posted.
Are you saying above that this should not be happening?

> Another solution would be to use overlays instead of faces for region highlighting. That's what use the highlight-regexp command; > this command highlight words matching a regexp. I think there is > an extension called highlight.el, by Drew Adams, which provides easy access to overlays. > Have a look at the wiki http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/HighLight

I have looked at this, but it seems too complicated to me. Maybe because I don't know enough about Emacs. I would prefer to use the already-existing Edit -> Text Properties menu, unless it is not possible.

                    Kostas