Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:25:18 +0200

Hi,

   The two main advantages I see with dokuwiki are: flat files and
   documentation-oriented wiki.  See the Ubuntu documentation wiki.

One mandatory thing we should keep is the possibility to edit and
to browse EmacsWiki trough GNU Emacs itself. OddMuse has a neat
mode for that and I do not think that either dokuwiki nor
mediawiki have such modes (or they have, not as good as
oddmuse.el).

Another cool wiki engine (no database, flat files only and a RCS
engine) could be ikiwiki (http://ikiwiki.info). It uses markdown
syntax, uses any RCS you like to maintain your history (Git is
the preferred way but you can use GNU bzr, tla, mercurial, ...).
You can edit thw wiki either from a simple text editor (emacs
comes to mind ;)) or using a CGI wrapper. As you use a RCS tool,
you can browse history for any files/pages and fixing a SPAM
attack is as simple as reverting to old revision using CLI
commands. Wiki can be protected with local account and/or OpenID
logins thus restricting SPAM rushes. Cons: it is unlikely it has
several billions users :)

But, in respect to Alex's work, I think we should keep the
current wiki engine and focus on the "accessibility" of the wiki:
have the information being better organized to make xaahlee happy.

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org