Re: Emacs, oldsters, newbiness

From: tyler
Subject: Re: Emacs, oldsters, newbiness
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:08:12 -0400

> As we don't have copyright assignments for the content on EmacsWiki,
> we cannot do this.  Does EmacsWiki have a reliable history mechanism
> that allows to find out who has done a change?

The wiki is licensed under GPL 2, according to the footer on each page.
This being the case, what's to stop anyone from lifting content for
inclusion in other documents with compatible licenses?

If such activity actually requires individual contributors actively
assigning copyright, then the footer is wrong and needs to be corrected.

Personally, I have always assumed that material I provide on any wiki is
subject to a Free license. Wikipedia is GFDL, and they've never
requested a copyright assignment from me. If that's not the case for the
EmacsWiki it should be stated clearly somewhere.

Cheers,

Tyler