Re: Convert UTF-8

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Convert UTF-8
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:54:29 +0100

+ Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de>:

> YOUNG wrote:
>>
>> I have a Emacs 22.3.1 for Windows XP, and there is a file encoded in
>> ASCII. I am trying to read the file and convert it to UTF-8 with
>> emacs.
>>

> If I am not mistaken, converting a ASCII file to UTF-8 is an identity
> operation, since the later is backwards compatible to the former. So
> there would be nothing to convert.

You are not at all mistaken of course, but many people take "ASCII" to
mean their favourite eight bit character set (typically Latin 1 or 9 in
western Europe).

But since the OP reports no change to his files, maybe they really were
proper ASCII to begin with. Or maybe he is confused about how to make
emacs use UTF-8 when loading the file? If so, he could do worse than
read the emacs info file, node "Recognize coding".

  -- Bertrand Russell