RE: Weird stuff printed out by emacs rgrep

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Weird stuff printed out by emacs rgrep
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:32:56 -0700

> Is this perhaps an emacs bug? It would seem perfectly possible to
> instead start something like
> /bin/tcsh -c "env GREP_OPTIONS=' --color=always' find ..."
> which would avoid the problem and any other similar potential
> problems.

Perhaps someone reading your post here can give you an authoritative answer.

But I would say that the best way to find out whether some behavior you find
problematic is in fact a bug is to report it as a bug (with a precise recipe for
reproducing the behavior, starting with emacs -Q).

People reading the bug reports are generally the best placed to filter such
observations and pronounce whether something is a bug or not. help-gnu-emacs
might help you in this regard, but `M-x report-emacs-bug' is probably a better
target for your question.

Especially if you are interested in discussing possible fixes (e.g. "it would
seem perfectly possible to..."), file a bug report and you will likely get the
informed discussion you seek.

There is no need to be certain that something is a bug before you file a bug
report. And there's no shame in mistakenly thinking some behavior is wrong or in
not understanding something completely. Go for it.