Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: ken
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 06:24:25 -0400

On 06/08/2009 04:43 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
> ken wrote:
>> Hey, group,
>>
>> I already use a few utf8 characters in emacs (and in web pages), but
>> recently needed to use a couple more.  One is an 'a' with a horizontal
>> line above it, the other an 'i' with a horizontal line above it.  How do I
>> input these into a buffer?
>>

>> tia,
>> ken
>>

> C-x ret C-\ latin-4-postfix
>
> then a,e,i,o,u followed by hyphen generate macroned vowels
>
> If you don't want all these then you could just put something like this
> in .emacs
>
> (global-set-key "\C-ca" (lambda () (interactive) (insert  ?ā )))
> (global-set-key "\C-ci" (lambda () (interactive) (insert  ?ī )))
>
> assuming you have these C-c combos free.
>
> Ed

Fantastic!  But... when I save and close the buffer and then open it up
again, in place of the beautiful and correct characters, there are
little boxes.

I tried using ‘C-x C-m c utf-8 RET’ prior to 'C-x C-f filename'... but
no joy.  Same no-go with 'C-x C-m c mule-utf-8 RET'.

The fact that these non-English characters display properly in the
buffer initially tells me that I have the requisite fonts installed.  So
what little connection is emacs not making (and how do I tell it to make
that connection)?

Thanks, all.