Re: How to prevent window resize when display-buffer in other window?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to prevent window resize when display-buffer in other window?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:07:00 +0200

> I split horizontally the frame into two windows, the upper and the
> lower. Initially, they are of the same size(height). And I resize the
> lower to be smaller. But when I issue "C-x C-b" in the upper, the
> "*Buffer List*" is diplayed in the lower, which makes the lower to grow
> large, shrinks the upper. Issueing "C-x 4 C-o *Buffer List* RET" cause
> the similar situation.
>
> I want to keep the size even when I decide to diplay something in the
> lower window. How to achieve?  Actually, I use the lower window as
> preview, and do editing in the upper one.

See

 -- User Option: even-window-heights
     This variable specifies whether `display-buffer' should even out
     window heights if the buffer gets displayed in an existing window,
     above or beneath another window.  If `even-window-heights' is
     non-`nil', the default, window heights will be evened out.  If
     either of the involved window has fixed height (*note Resizing
     Windows::) or `even-window-heights' is `nil', the original window
     heights will be left alone.

You should customize this to nil.

martin